As we have seen during the Health Care Debate, facts do not always sway the minds of the citizens. Then, as many times, public opinion was manipulated by media campaigns, and ideas that are designed to trigger an emotional, often irrational, response to a proposed idea in hopes of rallying support or opposition. The discussion that follows becomes devoid of a balanced viewpoint, thoughtful analysis, or often any form of critical thinking. This represents the failure of dialogue in democracy. If our democracy is to work, then the level of dialogue, and the quality of discussion needs to improve, focusing on debates and discussions around the value of policy consequences, and not emotional reactions.
The purpose of this blog is to examine issues in the public interest, and examine them with a thoughtful research based approach. By know means will I attempt to replicate academic literature, that is often out of touch with the political reality, but will attempt to translate, convert or synthesize proposed policy solutions and ideas based on their merit, feasibility and consequences. By no means do I suggest that I know the answers, or that my analysis will be perfect, but I do hope that my posts will assist in elevating the discussion.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment